Friday, May 10, 2013

High Score: Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA

A couple of weeks after my high score at the Legionnaire, it was my pal Dave's 30th birthday so a bunch of us decided to meet up at the Elbo Room in San Francisco.  It's hard to see in this photo, but there is a tiny sign on the left, under the "cocktails" sign that says "PINBALL!"  This was my kind of place.


They had an interesting lineup, with some old Sega machines (Independence Day and Viper???) that I had never seen before, but sadly, a lot of these machines were beat up and not working well, including a Simpson's Pinball Party that was completely out of commission.  I spent most of my time playing Avatar and Iron Man, which were both working fairly well.


When Avatar first came out a few years back it was in a lot of PAPA videos, so I have logged a lot of time watching really good players attacking this machine.  I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do to set up a solid multiball or two, and pretty early on in the night I grabbed the #3 high score with 35 million.  Not the highest score in the world, but Stern games are usually pretty low scoring, and anyway, I still felt cool plugging in my initials while other folks were flipping away on their machines.


In my next post I'll cover one of THREE high scores that I got on a recent trip to Portland, Oregon!

No comments:

Post a Comment