Friday, January 7, 2011

Gojira!


We're getting into a real ven diagram here about the things I love in life.  I'm a HUGE fan of the Tokusatsu genre.  It's a pretty broad genre, but all of the giant monster / mecha stuff really captured my heart as a kid.  I loved Power Rangers, Ultraman, and Godzilla.  The 1990's Godzilla movies were all really great (my favorite is Godzilla vs. Biollante) and I rented them from the video store at every chance I could get.  In 1995, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah marked the end of the 90's Godzilla movies.  There was a five year break before I found out that Tristar was planning to release a Godzilla movie.  


Two years later, an honest-to-goodness TOHO Godzilla movie was release in theatres; Godzilla 2000.  It was probably the single most exciting movie-theatre watching experienceof my childhood.

All this buildup is to say that there has never been a proper TOHO Godzilla pinball machine released (I'm not counting the Sega Godzilla machine since that was based on the Tristar Godzilla).  I mean, talk about a machine that would design itself!  All that destruction!?  All those monsters!?  

Sigh...Well, to get a little Godzilla out of my system, I made this mock poster in the style of the old Godzilla posters.  It says "Godzilla Pinball" down the side.  King Ghidorah and Godzilla are going at it!  Ah man, I need to dig up my vhs's...

I leave tomorrow for my trip to Las Vegas with a planned stop at the Pinball Hall of Fame.  I'm going to go in on my birthday!  I can't think of a better way to celebrate the annual success of my continued survival!  I'll try to post from the road!

1 comment:

  1. Way to drop a volcano photo in the background, Jon. That takes moxy. What's more, and in spite of any snooty coloring rules and reservations there might be about this type of thing, it freakin works! GOJIRAAAAA!!!

    ReplyDelete